Thursday, September 8, 2011

Strawberries + Cream


Last weekend, I had the sneaking suspicion that summer was winding down, so I put the ice cream maker to use. I opted for a tried and true favor, but with a twist, strawberry sour cream. It was airy and sweet with this lovely tang just below the surface. And it was the prettiest shade of pink. I just can't bear to put the ice cream maker away yet, so I've been contemplating fall flavors, involving things like maple and walnut and pumpkin. We'll just have to wait and see.

Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream
Recipe courtesy of The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

1 pound fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vodka or kirsch (I used vodka)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries, sugar and vodka. Let sit  for 1 hour at room temperature, stirring periodically. Add the strawberries and their juices, along with the sour cream, heavy cream and lemon juice to a blender, pulse until combined, but still slightly chunky. Chill mixture in the fridge, 1 hour, and then freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Store in freezer. Makes about 1 1/4 quarts.


You know what's even better than a bowl of strawberry ice cream? A strawberry milkshake. Do it!

11 comments:

  1. The colour is so beautiful and I bet it tastes delicious. YUM! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the empty scoop photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sour cream sounds like an interesting touch! The tang sounds very refreshing. If you make pumpkin or maple nut ice cream, please post the recipe for we eager folks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this recipe last summer but I never thought of making it a milkshake, it looks so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks deliciuos! And you made it by yourself! That adds even more flavour
    Have a nice day
    Sara C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i totally need to get an ice cream maker now that we have room to store it! Thanks for the delicious reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum. we got an ice cream maker for a wedding gift (something i HAD TO HAVE on the registry) and i've yet to use it! this might be the recipe for it's maiden voyage! thanks. (oh, did i mention i've been married for 9 1/2 years??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's spring here so only a short wait for strawberries, then I will be trying this recipe. Love the colour. Think I should get the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need need need an ice cream maker. Maybe I'll make that my housewarming gift to myself when I move into my new place. Then, watch out, because I will be all about the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips